Snowflake announces availability on Microsoft Azure
Snowflake Computing, the data warehouse built for the cloud, announces immediate availability of its data warehouse-as-a-service on for Microsoft Azure preview. Customer demand for Azure, and the need for large organisations to have flexibility across their cloud strategy,has prompted Snowflake to offer Azure as a cloud computing option to run Snowflake’s cloud-built data warehouse.
Nielsen, the global measurement and data analytics company, built their next generation Connected System as a cloud-native platform. “We strongly believe that advancements in computing will happen more rapidly on the Cloud. We are proactively building the future of our business by leveraging Snowflake & Microsoft Azure,” said Srini Varadarajan, CTO of Nielsen Buy.
Nielsen’s Connected System operates on large volumes of global, retail, point-of-sale data to produce analytics that enable FMCG and retail companies around the world to achieve sustained, profitable growth in today’s ever-evolving industries. “Snowflake and Azure deliver the scale and performance we need to enable modern data analytics so we can deliver our customers the product and consumer insights they need,” Varadarajan said. “We look forward to what’s on the horizon with Azure and Snowflake.”
Bob Muglia, Snowflake CEO, said: “Organisations continue to move their data analytics to the cloud at an increasing pace, with the cloud data warehouse at the core of their strategy. Customer demand for an Azure-based data warehouse is also on the rise. We’re working with Microsoft to provide the performance, concurrency and flexibility that Azure customers require from a modern, cloud-built data warehouse.”
Corporate vice president for Azure Compute at Microsoft Corp., Corey Sanders said: “Migration of an enterprise data warehouse into the cloud is a key requirement for Azure customers. We look forward to partnering with Snowflake to enable these data warehouse migrations for enterprise customers moving onto Microsoft Azure. We are pleased to welcome Snowflake to the Azure platform. ”
Overall, Snowflake’s innovations break down the technology and architecture barriers that organisations still experience with other data warehouse vendors. Snowflake provides a unique set of qualities to make it the most modern data warehouse built for and leveraging all the capabilities of the cloud:
- All of your data – Create a single source of truth to easily store, integrate and extract critical insight from petabytes of structured and semi-structured data (JSON, XML, AVRO).
- All of your users – Provide access to an architecturally unlimited number of concurrent users and applications without eroding performance.
- Zero management – Snowflake reduces complexity with built-in performance, so there’s no infrastructure to tweak, no knobs to turn and no tuning required.
- Complete SQL database – Snowflake supports the tools millions of business users already know how to use today.
- Pay-per-second pricing – Snowflake’s built-for-the-cloud architecture scales storage separate from compute, up and down, transparently and automatically so you only pay for what you use.
- Data sharing – Snowflake extends the data warehouse to the Data Sharehouse, with direct, governed and secure data sharing in real time, so enterprises can easily forge one-to-one, one-to-many and many-to-many data sharing relationships.