Cloud communications platform Twilio, announced Twilio Super SIM, built on the Twilio Evolved Packet Core (EPC) and expands Twilio’s tier-one carrier relationships on the Twilio Super Network to include wireless connectivity.
With Twilio Super SIM, developers can reportedly use a single API to deploy IoT devices globally with confidence. The company unveiled the latest addition to Twilio’s IoT offerings at SIGNAL, its customer and developer conference.
With a developer-first mindset, Twilio is always looking for ways to provide developers the tools needed to innovate, quickly connect and deploy. The Twilio Super SIM is the first step in building for the new era of the IoT. “The paradigm of build once and deploy globally simply doesn’t exist today in the IoT industry,” said Chetan Chaudhary, general manager and vice president of IoT at Twilio.
“With Twilio’s Super SIM, we are reducing complexity and eliminating barriers so developers don’t have to worry about mobile infrastructure or network access and can focus on building a great customer experience with their device.”
Twilio Super SIM
The Super SIM brings together the EPC and Super Network to provide one SIM with one API that can be deployed globally. By tackling the complexity of network connectivity, the Twilio Super SIM lowers the barriers of entry into the IoT market by providing a single trusted relationship to manage wireless connectivity – regardless if you’re a single developer or an established brand.
Through the Twilio Console and APIs, Twilio offers developers the control to choose the right network at the right time or rely on Twilio’s smart defaults to intelligently choose networks. The Super SIM running on the Twilio EPC offers unparalleled debuggability and visibility into IoT deployments.
The Super SIM offers developers:
- EPC with a software mindset – Cloud-based EPC that continually improves. Deployed globally for low latency and high availability.
- Access to a global network of tier-one operators – Partnerships with Hutchinson, Singtel and Telefonica provide developers access to multiple networks in every country, resulting in the best rates with a single billing relationship.
- Connections to the best network – Intelligently connects IoT devices to the right network wherever the Twilio Super SIMs are deployed.
- A granular view of SIM network selection and usage – Provides flexibility and transparency by giving developers the control to review connections, choose networks and view usage all in a single interface.
- A “build once and deploy globally” approach – A globally deployed EPC and multiple operator profiles on a single SIM.
Twilio evolved packet core
Twilio’s EPC is the software layer that controls the wireless connectivity for the Twilio Super Network, which enables Twilio to bring a software mindset to global wireless networks. Twilio has deployed a full 2G, 3G and LTE EPC following the cloud principles of multi-tenancy, scalability and availability.
As with Twilio’s other products, the EPC will continually get better over time with hundreds of software updates per month. The Twilio EPC is deployed globally and intelligently routes traffic providing network redundancy, reduced latency and access to the best in-country networks.
Twilio’s expansion of its super network
With Twilio’s EPC, Twilio is able to add wireless connectivity through the expansion of Twilio’s Super Network partnerships. By partnering with Hutchinson, Singtel and Telefonica, Twilio is providing access to wireless connectivity from multiple tier-one operators. This enables Twilio to leverage relationships that are in place with hundreds of networks around the world.
As Twilio expands its Super Network relationships to include wireless connectivity, customers will benefit with expanded choice, coverage and resiliency. Twilio’s multiple first-party relationships, give developers confidence they can trust connectivity from Twilio.