IoT and 5G Private Networks have the potential to revolutionise business operations in the coming years. In fact, 70% of businesses are poised to take advantage of deploying IoT private networks. However, significant challenges remain for unaware adopters. In an investigative report, Beecham Research and Keysight explore these pitfalls and the steps prospective organisations can take to avoid them.
Learn More – Register or Login to gain access to the report.
The key points covered in the report are:
The Business Case for Deploying a Private Cellular Network
4G/5G private networking is opening new doors for businesses regarding IoT deployment, allowing them to maximise IoT systems' benefits. In this context, private networks offer companies:
- Local coverage designed to meet on-site needs
- A high level of network and data security
- Consistent, uncompromised network capacity and reliability
- Local management and control over network traffic and use
- Predictable and low latency network behaviour
- High data rate even with high device density
Are Businesses Succeeding in Deploying Private Networks?
42% of businesses indicate that their IoT project was either partially (30%) or fully (12%) successful. That means 58% did not consider it a success, with the majority (40%) in the "mostly unsuccessful" category. While the potential benefits are undisputable, many still face challenges implementing IoT across the supply chain, scaling existing systems, and, in particular, effectively using testing and validation
Testing and Validating Private Network Performance
Testing and validating private networks are crucial to ensure they meet the organisation’s functional and non-functional requirements. The process can typically be divided into three stages:
- Build: Research, development validation, and certification of the private network infrastructure.
- Deploy: Design, deployment, optimisation, and facilitating on-site acceptance of network.
- Run: Monitor, secure, optimise, and assurance the network.
The Key Steps of Deploying IoT Private Networks
Proper planning is essential to deploy a private network to support IoT infrastructure successfully. Skipping a step(s) could lead to significant difficulties or a solution that's misaligned with the business goals:
- Validation and conformance of industrial devices
- Network design and planning
- Network deployment
- Network operations and optimisation
How Businesses Can Ensure Successful Deployment of 5G Private Networks
To maximise their chances of success, businesses need the entire lifecycle of their IoT network and devices. The report investigates how a whole lifecycle strategy can help companies avoid the common pitfalls of IoT private network deployment. From the R&D of industrial devices to integration with the rest of your networks to planning for peak usage, decision-making at every level should be aware of the impact on the deployment of the network.
Learn More – Read the Essential Role of Testing and Validation in Private Network Deployment PDF - Register or Login to gain access.