Interdigital launches oneTRANSPORT data marketplace
InterDigital, Inc., a mobile technology research and development company, announced that the company has launched the oneTRANSPORT™ data marketplace as a commercial service in the U.K. The commercial service features an actively expanding ecosystem that currently includes Northamptonshire County Council, Oxfordshire County Council, Arup, WorldSensing and Traak Systems.
The oneTRANSPORT data marketplace unlocks a new generation of Intelligent Transport and Smart City benefits across the U.K. The marketplace makes real-time data from a myriad of closed, siloed systems available through an open, standards-based system with data licenses, enabling the creation of new data-driven digital transport solutions.
Public and private sector organisations across different sectors utilise the oneTRANSPORT data marketplace to publish, distribute and consume both real-time and historical data with each other to reveal insights and create new intelligent transport services that deliver:
- More efficient transport network utilisation: better matching of transport services with changing journey requirements and improved understanding and management of disruptions;
- Improved traveler / customer experiences: travel services that are focused around the needs of the traveler;
- Better infrastructure planning: deeper insight into travel patterns resulting in better long-term transport investment decisions; and
- Greater integration with adjacent sectors: improved transport efficiencies with benefits to health and social care delivery, manufacturing, environment, energy management, education and business.
“Digital transport is a key objective in unlocking economic growth. In order to unlock this true value, transport operators, local authorities, transport agencies, and service providers will need to work together,” said Jim Nolan, executive vice president, Chordant, at InterDigital. “The oneTRANSPORT data marketplace enables data to be shared within a trusted ecosystem, unlocking innovation, enabling new intelligent mobility services and ultimately advancing economic growth.”
“We hold the responsibility of providing the best and most efficient citizen-centric transport services for people in our region, while sensibly managing public spend,” said Ian Achurch, head of Development, Infrastructure & Funding at Northamptonshire County Council.
“oneTRANSPORT data marketplace enables efficient real-time sharing of our transport data with neighboring regions and the wider private sector, unlocking investment in services that benefit our citizens and travelers through our region without straining our already stretched budgets.”
The commercial service is based off of the two-year oneTRANSPORT project, which brought together more than 300 different datasets, coordinated eleven public and private partners’ activities, and which was recognised with 9 global awards.
The oneTRANSPORT data marketplace operates on the Chordant™ platform, a standardised cloud-based system built for real-time data, supported by a commercial framework that makes open data sharing simple for any organisation.
The marketplace provides numerous service features including:
- “Publish once, distribute to many” architecture, enabling the efficient distribution of real-time data by data owners to any other organisation without placing additional strain on existing IT systems;
- Choice of Open Data licenses, allowing organisations to control what data they license and on what terms;
- Cloud storage and archiving of real-time data, creating historical records for analysis and machine learning;
- Options for monetising valuable data; and
- APIs based on the international global IoT standards, preventing proprietary-system lock-in.
“Previously isolated and nearly inaccessible data about real-time operations of towns and cities has now been made easily accessible to us through the oneTRANSPORT data marketplace,” said Colin Balfour, managing director at Traak Systems. “This free flow of transport data has helped accelerate our Smart City analytics business and unlocks opportunities for us to develop new Smart City Intelligent Transport solutions.”
“The U.K. really needs this kind of infrastructure for data, that enables smaller cities and entire regions to benefit from Smart City concepts and solutions,” said Tim Gammons, director of Smarter Mobility and ITS at Arup. “We’ve been working with the oneTRANSPORT project for a number of years and are excited to support the growth of this data sharing eco-system across the U.K.”
At Mobile World Congress 2018 in Barcelona, InterDigital will demonstrate how the oneTRANSPORT data marketplace enables the monetisation of real-time Smart City and Intelligent Mobility data streams. The oneTRANSPORT data marketplace enables data owners to distribute real-time data to multiple organisations either for free through an Open Data license, or for a fee that is set by the data owner. The oneTRANSPORT marketplace tracks and charges organisations that access the data, passing revenue back to the data owner.
Attendees of Mobile World Congress can see the oneTRANSPORT data marketplace in operation at InterDigital’s pavilion in Hall 7, Stand 7C61.